Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Building Progress

I was taught that the way of progress was neither swift nor easy.
~Marie Curie 

Suddenly, lots of progress is being made!  I have floors!  Insulation is going in.  We have a new water system.  She is starting to look like a boat again.

Floor boards have been installed.  We replaced all of the floor boards throughout the boat.  Rather than searching for marine grade plywood, we chose to get regular plywood, then paint it with waterproof, mold resistant paint.
In this pic you can see the new floor, the hatch for access to the plumbing in the head, insulation and some of the water lines.  The stairs are the old ones and will be replaced.

In this pic, you can see an employee of twin hills construction working on my boat.  You an also see some sheets of the plywood with the paint applied to make it waterproof and mold resistant.
The mold resistant paint we used is called Fiberlock IAQ 6000.  You can read about it here: http://www.fiberlock.com/mold/8360.html.  

My contractor, Jerry, noticed some spaces in the boat that could be used as storage.  There are a few places between stringers in the galley area that have no tanks, wires, or tubes running through them.  He decided to build a box down into these areas, and put a hatch on top.  Instant storage!  having these extra storage areas on the boat will definitely come in handy!
In the pic, you can see the twp boxes built of plywood (the one of the left is not down in the space yet--there was a bolt that needed to be moved so that it would fit.

In this pic, you can see that the storage compartments were painted with the Fiberlock paint mentioned above.

In this pic, you can see that the storage compartments do not sit on the bottom of the boat. This will help ensure that they stay nice and dry.

In this pic, you can see the storage compartments have been all framed.  Now we just need the hatch doors, hinges and pulls.


In this pic, you can see the hatch doors have been installed! 

Just as I was typing this blog, my contractor sent me this pic:
In case you can't tell what you are looking at........I HAVE A WALL!!!!  If you look to the left of the refrigerator, you will see that a wall has been built.  The framing has begun!  I am so excited! 

I want to emphasize once again how happy I am with my new contractor.  His work is high quality, steady, and he keeps me informed all along the way.  I highly, highly recommend him!  His name is Jerry Williams and his company is twin hills construction, LLC (513.293.7744) or jwilliams209@cinci.rr.com.  

A fun side-note...remember the dinghy we found in the warehouse? I finally got the engine for it!  Now I just have to clean it up and see if it starts.

While it has taken much longer than I thought it would--progress is neither swift or easy--progress is being made, and it is exciting!  I am actually glad that I was naive about how long it would take.  Who knows if I would have taken this project on if I had known??  And I have no regrets!

1 comment: