Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Celebrate things worth celebrating!

"The more you praise and celebrate your life, the more there is in life to celebrate."
~Oprah Winfrey

I was very excited to celebrate my boat reborn.  I had decided to keep it simple...but it took on a life of its own!

As prescribed by tradition, the new name was covered until just the right moment in the ceremony--after Poseidon was implored to add the new name to his ledger of the deep and guard over her:
I took advantage of the large covering to advertise her ceremony and invite my neighbors on the dock to join the celebration:
This is the front of the boat--the bridge
And this is the back of the boat.
Floating keychains were created to celebrate her rebirth (and were stored in my car until the big day):
I bought the keychains through ADVERTISE IT by Wendy.
Very fast delivery!
And what's a celebration without can koozies? (These were also stored in my car, so that nothing with her new name was aboard until after the renaming ceremony):
I ordered the Koozies through TotallyPromotional.com
They were very easy to work with--sent me artwork to approve,
and when I saw it I changed the layout.  Very happy with this company.
Lots of friends and relatives came to help me celebrate my boat's new name and new life!  
My friend, Mary, baked a cake for the Empress!
My friend, Melanie, brought lots of the world's best fried chicken
from the Hitching Post.  It did not last long at all!
My friend, Joe, made a batch of his very yummy
(and somewhat lethal) summer brew.
My friend, Bruce, provided some Bud Light to add to our Miller Light
and brought the tap and equipment.  He has a business called Bars on Wheels,
 if you ever need beverages for an event!
Preparing libations to offer to the ruler of the deep: Poseidon, his court and the gods of the winds.

In case you are wondering, I decided that I would not take any chances with the champagne.  We offered Poseidon some Veuve Clicquot Ponsardin (which was graciously provided in honor of this long-awaited event by my friend, Melanie):

Here we are preparing to toss the tag with the old name into the water
so that it is washed clean.
In this pic, the Commodore of Four Seasons Yacht Club,
Bob Pattison, is offering champagne to the mighty rulers of the
winds--each of the four directions: north, south, east and west. 
Lots of friends and family came out to help celebrate!

And the moment everyone was waiting for...John First of JF Designz--(who designed and applied her new graphics--very talented and at a great price) unveils her new name:

Empress: A woman who rules of her own right.  
Bennu: Egyptian deity bird linked with the sun, creation and rebirth.  It may have been the inspiration for the phoenix in Greek mythology.
And she IS the Empress Bennu:

You can find the ceremony we used here.

I've had lots of people tell me that this legend (or superstition) is a waste of time.  I can't imagine how honoring my boat and celebrating her rebirth could be a waste of time!  Gathering with friends and family to celebrate and have fun certainly is not a waste of time!  I believe in fun and I believe in celebrating!

(Thank you, Melanie, for all of the great photos!) 

3 comments: