Monday, May 20, 2013

Living aboard a boat...

"Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home."
~Matsuo Basho

I've been living aboard my boat for about a month and a half now.  I almost forgot to enjoy it!

I started this blog by explaining my hesitancy to own a home...also known as a slight fear of commitment.  While owning a home is comforting to some--providing a sense of security--it makes me feel vulnerable and limited in my options.  I'll admit that soon after moving aboard I started to feel the weight of my new responsibility.  It may be a boat, but it is a houseboat and I own it--and all of the responsibility that comes with it.

Then, I reminded myself why I wanted to live on a boat.  I reminded myself to take some time to enjoy it.  Aahhhh....I'm home,  And I love it:

Sitting on the back deck enjoying coffee and a book with the pups.
Moving from an apartment with a basement and a garage onto a boat is a challenge.  I discovered that getting rid of things, and keeping only those things that really bring me joy, is a liberating process!

More on living aboard a boat later.  Let's look at some before/after pictures:











And with a little help, the new bridge seat is in place where it belongs.  It fit absolutely perfectly:

For the first few weeks aboard, I made do without some of conveniences most of us consider necessities: running water, a working head and a stove/oven.  After many frustrating conversations (and unfulfilled promises) from the electrician , my friend Gregg Tepe determined to get these things working for me.  The next day, I received a video message from him with running water from my sink.  What an exciting moment!

Running water gets a thumbs up!

The boat is still a work in progress.  Next priorities: the floor, window treatments and tinting, interior doors (head, closet and pantry) mesh around the railings (to keep pups onboard), painting the decks, a shelf for my microwave, etc.  

Even so, I'm home.  It has been, and continues to be, a journey.  And I love it.

1 comment:

  1. Tracy,

    Would you have the a copy of the original manual floor plan laying around, fellow Kingscraft owner here remodeling the inside of my boat, if you do that would be great!!! 304-281-1510 or sethporter@ymail.com.

    thanks in advance,
    Seth Porter

    ReplyDelete