Monday, May 7, 2012

Zen and the Art of Houseboat Renovation

(May 7, 2012)

 


In everything, there is a lesson.  The last couple of days have been a challenge to me.  Actually, let me take ownership here and rephrase: I have allowed myself to be challenged by events of the last couple of days because I lost sight.  I lost sight of the fact that the journey is what matters.  And the journey should be fun.  I have lost sight of 'today' because I'm trying to rush to 'tomorrow.'

I need to refocus and be sure that my goal is to enjoy today and make the most of it.  

Today I made some calls regarding getting the windows tinted and having the green stripes covered with orange vinyl, and having her new name made and applied to her stern.  Gregg ordered new tracks for the window (thanks to a referral from a new friend who is also renovating a 1971 King's Craft)!

Today we made progress.

Awhile ago I read a book called, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance (for those of you who know the story, this was part of the book club I eavesdropped on for a year because I was afraid to join...).  When I read the book, I really fell in love with the idea of knowing a machine the way the character knew his motorcycle.  Each day, I learn more about my boat, and I fall more in love with her.  I will take care of her, and together we will experience adventures.  

I will enjoy this journey, and I will enjoy future adventures (whatever they may be).  

For now, I will enjoy today, for in reality, it is all that I have.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The journey is the reward.
         ~Taoist saying

We’re in such a hurry most of the time we never get much chance to talk. The result is a kind of endless day-to-day shallowness, a monotony that leaves a person wondering years later where all the time went and sorry that it’s all gone.
         ~Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values

To live only for some future goal is shallow. It's the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top.
         ~Robert M. Pirsig

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you about enjoying the journey. Soon enough it will be over. She'll be complete. Enjoy every moment of making it happen!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an amazing chica, Tracy Cole! Love seeing the progress you're making with your houseboat. Enjoy the journey! :)

    ReplyDelete