Tuesday, June 19, 2012

The Ledger of the Deep & Poseidon's Memory (preparing for change)

"The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names."  ~Chinese Proverb

My first blog post was titled, "A Priority."  My boat's current name is Nauta Priority.  For the last 10 years, at least, this has been a fitting name.  All of that has changed; she is a priority.  And so her name must change as well.

I have finally decided on her new name.  It is a name that signifies power and rebirth.  

Renaming a boat is tricky.  There is a long-held belief that renaming a boat is a very unlucky thing to do...unless done right.  By tradition, you must purge the name from the Ledger of the Deep and from Poseidon's memory, and add the new name.   

This will require a boat renaming ceremony.  Here is a link to one version of this ceremony:  http://boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/rename.htm.  Good news: Plenty of champagne is required.

I think this is a great reason to have a party.  More information on this will be coming soon--but if you are reading this, if you have ever had a boat, if you have ever been part of positive change, if you like to have fun...I hope you will attend!  Help me make this the largest renaming ceremony in the history of Four Seasons Marina!

In preparation of a party in her honor, I'd like to have her new look to go along with her new name.  
 
Signs Now gave me a quote on covering the green stripes with orange vinyl and putting her new name and a graphic on the front and back.  They also sent me a pic of the boat with orange (my orange will not be this bright):
I think I will probably re-paint the stripes myself (with a little help from friends), and have Signs Now (http://www.signsnow.com/) do the name and graphics for me.  They have been amazing to work with so far!

I also ordered new lines (ropes) and new fenders...in orange!  

The lines will be personalized with her name.  I ordered from this website:  http://softlinesinc.com/c-95139-boats.html.  The fenders came from this website:  http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?r=view&i=76748.

Today we re-sealed the seams on the rest of the top deck, which is also the ceiling of the front deck (same process I described in my last post).  When I washed the boat...not one leak!  How rewarding!  Now I just have to do this to the front deck and a few other seams, then two fresh coats of paint.
 
 
 I used some 2 x 4s to support the deck while we crawled around on it:
I am hoping the new window frames will be installed this Wednesday and Friday.  Fingers crossed!

Today someone came aboard to take some measurements.  As he looked around, he shook his head and pointed out that I had taken on a huge amount of work.  Perhaps, but I choose to look at each task separately.  I have taken on lots of steps, and I am taking them all one at a time.  It took years of her being "Nauta Priority" to result in disintegration.  Her rebirth will require energy, money, dedication and time (but less time than her disintegration). 

I am willing to give that.  She is becoming "one who rules in her own right"..."one who is reborn."  And soon she will be called by her right name.   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment