Sunday, January 6, 2013

Adventure: Oceans & Itches...

"One way to get the most out of life is to look upon it as an adventure."
~William Feather

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go."
~T.S. Eliot

As work progresses on the boat (and my bank account shrinks), I am getting more and more excited about the prospect of living aboard.  Strangely, I also find myself questioning my choice.  Maybe this is just a symptom of my noncommittal condition. 

As I think about life: the joys, the adventure, all the things waiting to be discovered and savored, I wonder why I choose to keep all the anchors I have created.  A part of me (a growing part) wants to pack everything up and head to the ocean.  My KingsCraft is not an ocean-going vessel... 

Maybe I should quit reading books like: 
Or, maybe I should keep reading.

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." 
~Anais Nin

Right now I am telling myself that the KingsCraft is my "practice" boat.  I will live on her for a few years to determine if living aboard a boat is really the life for me.  There is still this nagging voice in the back of my mind that reminds me that there are no dress rehearsals in life, and no guarantees of tomorrow.  I remind myself that saying, "someday," is the most dangerous thing one can do.

Things are progressing nicely.  I should be satisfied by that.  I just hope this boat is finished in time; I am feeling a little itchy...

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are built for."
~John A. Shedd




No comments:

Post a Comment