Friday, January 18, 2013

Boat Renovation--Not a task for the Faint-Hearted.

"Nothing can sabotage winning, except for fear of losing. Success usually lies just beyond failure." ~Mario Cortes

This week I insured my boat.  Crazy that I waited even a day after the title was in my name...but it is now insured.  

That was a fun process.  The first insurance company, United Marine Underwriters, turned me down.  Said that maybe they could help me after a year of owning the boat with no claims (hmmmmm...what if all insurance agencies held this practice?).  

Next, I called Allstate.  And Voila, I was covered.  Of course, they wanted me to get the boat surveyed--which I expected.  

Since my search for a houseboat first began, I have established a relationship with my surveyor.  He is awesome!  He is very interested in my safety and knows boats well--has been in the boating industry all his life.  If you need a surveyor, I highly recommend Pete Droppelman out of Louisville, KY.  But act fast, because rumor is he may be retiring soon.

So, today Pete paid me a visit (ok, actually I paid and he visited).  Now, keep in mind that his job is to tell me all the things that I need to tweak, change, consider etc. for my boat.  He writes it all into his report, which I then present to my insurance company.  He said they typically give you 30 days to fix anything that he finds that needs changed.

Ready for the list?  (I'm not)
  • double clamps:
    • exhaust hose
    • raw water intake at the water pump
  • Ground fault receptacles 
    • in the galley
    • in the head
    • on the outside of the boat (these need covers, as well)
  • Two smoke & CO2 monitors
  • 3 bilge pumps (that are automatic and manual)
    • you must have a bilge pump in each separate compartment of the hull of the boat
    • the guy I bought the boat from promised to have these functioning in time for my survey today.  Guess what?
    • also, the center bilge (currently non-functioning) has wing nuts on it, which is a big no-no
  •  The top of the raw water pipe for the toilet is below the water line and therefore has a hose attached to extend the length (so that water will not leak into the boat).  This hose is not clamped--at all.  It can be easily pulled off, then water very visibly starts leaking into the hull of the boat.  I admit--I might have puked into my mouth a little when I saw this (sorry...)  This needs a shut-off valve.
  • Fuel-line manifold shut-off
  • Three fire extinguishers
  • Battery switches
  • Battery boxes
  • And recommended items:
    • volt meter
    • amp meter
    • galvonic isolator
And, that's it.  

Captain 3G was there as support for most of the survey, and just a little after he left, I received this pic in a text message from him:
fire extinguishers: check!  ball valve for the raw water toilet intake: check!
Thank you, Captain Gregg!
Tonight, after uncurling myself from the fetal position, I am going out with friends.

Tomorrow, I will deal with the list and the survey and the insurance...

If success lies just beyond failure, I must be getting close!


No comments:

Post a Comment