Sunday, August 12, 2012

caulking, taping, window tracks and lots of little things

"Details create the big picture."
~Sanford I. Weill

In preparation of insulation, we had a few details to address:  finishing the window tracks, removing all the old screws, caulking everything, and taping off the aluminum beams throughout the boat.  This is the kind of work that most people don't even notice, but it is essential.  It is also tedious and time-consuming.  I am glad I had some help!

Removing old screws...


Taping off the aluminum beams...
This is my friend, Nancy, and I was really glad she was willing to help with this tedious work!

Removing more old screws (and whistling while we work)!


There were little Styrofoam balls left from the old insulation that we had to remove before taping.
Yellow stripes!  I love the angles and curves created by the GoPro camera!

After hours of caulking, I realized a few things: I do not like caulking, 5200 is thick and sticky and difficult to use, there must be a better caulk gun (something electric?).

Since I am going to be caulking and recaulking my boat on a yearly basis, I decided that splurging on an electric caulk gun was a good idea.  I purchased this one by Ryobi from Home Depot:
This was the only electric caulk gun I found for less than $199.00.  Of course, it does not come with a battery or charger, and once you add those, the cost is around $140.00.  But, if you have other Ryobi power tools, the same battery will work for this.  I did not have any other Ryobil tools, but I was lucky to find a Ryobi mutli tool set that was on clearance for just a bit more than 2 batteries and a charger would cost (and it included 2 batteries and a charger).  They also have a starter kit that has a circular saw, drill, 2 batteries and charger for $99.00 (just the batteries and a charger are $90.00), so I recommend getting a kit rather than buying the batteries separately. 

I have found that it is well worth it!  I recommend this caulk gun!

If you come aboard my boat right now, you may not immediately recognize all the work that has been done, but with help from friends, we are slowly building the big picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment