Monday, August 6, 2012

Learning from Dennis Pluckebaum...

"Every person you meet knows something you don't; learn from them."
~H. Jackson Brown

In the process of renovating my boat, I spend a lot of time researching things, talking with people, asking questions and learning all I can.  I have found that if you ask 10 people the same question, you will get at least 3 completely different opinions--sometimes opposite ends of the spectrum.  For example, we have been trying to determine the best way to insulate the boat.  We decided that spray insulation was a good option.  I would save on utilities and it would lengthen my boating season--earlier in the Spring, and later in the Fall.  So, I starting asking around about this idea, and here are 3 of the responses I heard:
  1. "This is the best way to insulate your boat.  It will help prevent condensation, provide a high R-Value, and help with acoustics."
  2. "Hmmm, I've never heard of using spray insulation in a boat.  I think it's overkill.  You should use the blocks of styrofoam."
  3. "It is illegal to use spray insulation in a boat.  It will make your wiring completely inaccessible, and your insurance company will not cover a boat with spray insulation for this reason."
Since this is a very important decision (and expensive), I decided to consult the experts.

Pluckebaum boats are held in high esteem by everyone who knows about Pluckebaum boats.  My surveyor recommended I give them a call.  I decided to give it a shot (but I wasn't sure how much they'd be willing to help someone who was not planning to buy something from them).

They were very willing!  In fact, Dennis Pluckebaum invited us to come visit and see a boat that had been insulated with spray insulation.

Gregg and I rearranged our schedules for the next morning, and drove to Louisville.

They have a King's Craft on location that is being renovated.  The owner sprayed the insulation himself (a DIY project), so Dennis was able to show us what to do (and what not to do).

Here are some pics of the insulation in the boat that was there:
In this pic, you can see that the insulation was applied all the way to the waterline.
This is a pic of the ceiling.  The insulation should be applied in such a way that it completely fills the available space.  In this pic, you can see that the insulation is not even with the edge with the aluminum beam.  In order to gain all the condensation-prevention benefits, this area should be filled in more.
Here is a pic that shows ceiling and walls--all with insulation.
They are also converting the storage area beneath the salon into sleeping quarters.  Pluckebaum constructed these spiral stairs of aluminum.  This is an idea to keep in mind if I find I need more sleeping space.

Dennis Pluckebaum spent about 2 hours with us, showing us around their warehouses, giving us tips and suggestions, and showing us some boats.  He showed us a 50 foot go-fast boat he made of aluminum.  It is a beautiful, one-of-a-kind boat:



If you are interested in having a boat custom made, or would like someone to do some work on a boat for you, I highly recommend Pluckebaum!  They are a family-owned, high quality boat manufacturer.  http://www.pluckebaum.com/.

Seeing my boat take shape is not the only joy of this renovation process.  It is amazing how much I am learning and discovering.  And most of all, I have met some very kind, fascinating people.  I can't wait to see what else this process will bring my way! 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment