Saturday, August 18, 2012

Getting closer to Building (new marine fuel tanks)

"If you go to work on your goals, your goals will go to work on you.  If you go to work on your plan, your plan will go to work on you.  Whatever good things we build end up building us."
~Jim Rohn

With the seemingly monumental task of getting the fuel tanks out happily behind us, the only thing that stands between now and finally building is getting the new tanks in.  Once the new tanks are in, we can get the insulation installed, put in a new floor, and then the framing begins.

Before putting the tanks in, I had to clean the hull of the boat.  Here's a fun before and after:
Before cleaning
After cleaning
And the new tanks have arrived!  Two hours before a meeting downtown, the delivery truck finally came:
The deliver guy left the tanks in this parking space for me.  I had two hours to get the tanks to the boat, get home, change and get to my meeting downtown.

They wouldn't fit down the docks wrapped, so step one was to unwrap and see what I was working with.  Actually, that was step two.  Step one was to call Gregg Tepe to see if he had any ideas for me.  Luckily, he was 20 minutes away, and he volunteered to come help me!

Here are my two new fuel tanks and a holding tank (the smaller one on top):

We took them one at a time, and had them on the boat in about 20 minutes.  They are aluminum, so they weren't all that heavy.  The one in the cart is the holding tank.  My boat has never had a holding tank (for black water)...but it will now.  (Oh, and I made it to my meeting in plenty of time).
 

Now we just have to install them.  Installation is as scary to me as removal was monumental.

And, we will be replacing the galvanized steel fuel fill pipes (red arrows are pointing to the pipe) with Fuel Gauge hose:


I'm excited to get the fuel tanks installed (and nervous about the process of installing them).  

Enough about fuel tanks!  Other exciting news...my stereo wires have been run!  

I'm working with a company called Sounds Excellent.  They have been very dependable, very fast, and very reasonably priced.  I highly recommend them if you are looking for someone to do audio, security alarms, camera systems, home theaters, etc.  You can email the owner, Wayne Buckalew at soundsexc@yahoo.com or call at 513.655.6829.

They are installing 2 speakers on the back deck, 2 on the front deck, 2 on the bridge, 2 in the stateroom and 2 in the salon.  I will be able to adjust the volume of each pair separately.  Very excited to have this in place!

I also drew up the plans for overhead lighting in the boat:
The yellow squares are ceiling lights and the white squares are sconces

And here are the light fixtures we are using:
These are the stainless can lights (yellow squares) that will be mounted flush with the ceiling
These are the sconces (white squares) that will be hanging on the wall

I am really hoping that a lot happens in the next two weeks.  There is nothing getting in the way now, so the pace of work should pick up (please....).  Building this boat is building my knowledge of the boat...and my patience!


1 comment:

  1. I am extremely impressed with your writing skills and also with the layout on
    your weblog. Is this a paid theme or did you customize it yourself?
    Anyway keep up the nice quality writing, it is rare to see a great blog
    like this one today.

    My web blog Debrah

    ReplyDelete